Saturday, March 19, 2011

To Sir (William Haley), With Love

I came across a quote the other day, that if I were the type of person to get “inked”, as the kids call it nowadays, I would spend my spring break showing off my new scripted tattoo. Ha! Not really, but when I enter my classroom I will find a place for this quote. Similar to a business owner hanging the first dollar bill or the “champion” quotes that football players touch before they run out onto the field. This quote, the words and the philosophy behind it, will have a home in my classroom. The quote is credited to Sir William Haley, who at points during his career served as director of the BBC and editor of The Times of London as well as Encyclopedia Britannica. The quote is as follows:

“Education would be so much more effective if its purpose were to ensure that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how much they don’t know, and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it.” –Sir William Haley

Wow, that is a mouthful! Yet, it is the truth! Thank you, Sir William Haley. Why did this stick with me so much? I’m not sure who to accredit my desire for learning. More than likely it was a culmination of all the teachers I’ve had in my life; the good and the bad. This quote pretty much sums up my philosophy on education. I don’t want the learning to stop once students have left my classroom. It should only be the beginning; merely the spark that starts the flame. For that reason, it has influenced the decisions I have made as a student teacher this semester.

As I begin Task J and reflect on my effectiveness, I thought about how easy it is to be stuck in a rut. Over the course of a year or so, some teachers accumulate a set of tests, assignments, and assessments. They use them year after year, and never give a second thought to how affective it is to student knowledge and skills. It is hard for us to take an honest look and say, “this isn’t working; how can I make this better?” What I like about this MAT program, which I haven’t heard about with other schools, is the many opportunities that require me to be reflective. Being reflective, and considering the data of my student’s performance, is something I plan to continually practice, and look forward to, year after year.

To close, here is a video sent to me via Facebook. I thought it was fitting for this post.

1 comment:

  1. OMG-I have tears in my eyes. Remember this post when you do Capstone. What a wonderful philosophy! I am going to pass this along, if you don't mind. Every student teacher needs to see this. You talk softly, but you write boldly!

    Have you ever thought about writing a book? How about a "how to" for student teachers?
    2pts/2pts

    ReplyDelete