Saturday, February 12, 2011

Getting to Know You

By now, the students and I are getting comfortable with each other. I have learned almost all of the names and for the most part I am no longer being referred to as “Ms. Ummm” or the “Black Girl”. Yes, I have heard that last reference whispered more than I liked but I do understand that is how some relate to me. Until those few students get to know me a little better, that is their point of reference—and I’m okay with that for now.

One of the things that I did miss about being at the ATC is the high school atmosphere. We are working with high school students but most of the activities are done at the main high school. Let me explain better what I mean. High school is a time for Pep Rallies, Spirit Week, Rivalry Week, Dress In Your Favorite Decade Day, and so on. Because Valentine’s Day is coming up, the high school sold roses and conducted the iFlirt activity. Students answered a series of questions and for $2 they were able to see what peers and celebrities matched their personalities. It was all in fun. The ATC is where students come to a class or two and quickly head back up the high school. In fact there is only one hall of lockers for students who come from other counties. Now, I understand that I am there to learn all I can about teaching but for me, knowing my students and developing a relationship is a big part of that process. All the extra activities beyond the lectures, the lesson objectives, and the assessments, are where a teacher can get to know a student even more. As a result, lesson planning will become even more effective.

I must admit that still trying to get the hang of things, along with the cold temperatures, has postponed my venture up to the high school; however, that will soon change. Happily, this week I felt that the students and I connected just a bit more. The Health Services department at the ATC had “Pennies for Patients” this week. Students were able to pay $1 for a length of duct tape to tape teachers to the wall. On another day, students could pay $1 dollar to throw a pie in the face of some of the teachers that volunteered to participate. In addition, we started a new unit called Conflict Resolution. My ST and I let the students teach parts of the class and we had some great discussions. They opened up and talked about some of their issues and as a class we were able to find real resolutions for student issues that were occurring right now. It had to be some of the best classes I have been a part of.

I know seasoned teachers that are able to observe students and can quickly pick up on characteristics and personalities that leave me thinking, “How did they derive that outcome from that little action?” I will probably get to that point some years down the road. For me, the experiences this week showed me just how important being able to connect through a change of pace in the class, or an activity outside of the classroom, can be to the teacher/student relationship.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you. You are showing such depth as a teacher. When you are thinking and reflecting to the degree that you are, it is a beauty to behold. I am serious. Everything you discussed is wound through the theme of being a better teacher-able to reach the students better, quicker, more effectively. You may indeed have a lot to learn, but you have already learned a lot. As far as them not knowing your name-I wouldn't accept that. Make it their exit slip everyday to say "goodbye, Ms. Hardin" or they don't leave! They don't want to be called "that white girl" as a student. You deserve the same courtesy. But you have to demand it.
    2pts/2pts
    Iona

    ReplyDelete