Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Tale of Two Students

This week was a very interesting week. I wouldn’t say it was disappointing, but perhaps frustrating would be a better description. After my observation, I had tried hard to research, and ask for, ways to reach one particular student. My ST had struggled with them as well and we were both excited that once they warmed up to me there was a chance that some progress would be made. Unfortunately, I will not be a part of their progress. We found out that they were taken out of all of their classes at our school and moved into more remedial classes. I hope that they can receive the help that they need and deserve. After this, my mind began filling with so many questions. Based on the work they did attempt to start, it seemed they understood the material but what was keeping the student from finishing or even turning things in? Also, will they be one of those students that fall through the “cracks” or just keep getting passed on without their full potential being realized? In all reality this student may need more help than I am equipped to give at this time.

The next situation is on the opposite end of the student spectrum and in a completely different class. This student caught on to lessons quickly and participated in class discussions; just an all around good student. The class was working on business projects and this student was ahead of the game. They took work home, researched extra hours, and went above the requirements that were asked. In fact, they were on track to have their project entered into the FBLA competition. To the surprise of my ST, after class earlier this week, the student notified her that they were dropping the class. What? Are you sure? What’s going? Do you think you’re not doing well on the project? These were all questions that I wanted to ask. To put this situation in context, two students had dropped the class the week before. They were “C” students and simply told the teacher that they didn’t want to do the project because it was too much work. Wow, what a reality check for me. I would have never even considered doing such a thing when I was a high school student. How can the school even allow this; especially when the school year is more than half over?  So when one of the star students decides to drop the class, my mind again was filled with so many questions. I begin to think about how I would handle the situation in my classroom. I would definitely have to question my effectiveness of instruction. Would I let my frustrations get the best of me? Would I take it personally? I was raised to think that while I was in school, it was my job and you do your job to the best of your ability. If you find it challenging you don’t quit but ask for help.

My ST handled the situation but I did want to step in. I saw the potential. I thought about how proud the student would feel if they would have completed the project and maybe even placed in the FBLA competition. To be honest I could see the potential in all three of the students that dropped. Maybe I should have tried to say something or reach out to them. What I kept thinking about was if this would carry on into their adult lives. Would they quit every time things became a challenge? If they did encounter a challenge would they not seek help or push through it anyway? I can only hope that this was a case of senior-itis and that these were isolated cases.

As anyone who reads will see, this was a week full of questions. It was interesting to see the same actions in two students who look completely different on paper. A failing student that had a habit of starting projects then quitting and an “A” student that had seemed to work hard in the past but quit this time. In chapter 7 of Adrienne Mack-Kirschner’s book, she discusses the habits of the mind. She addresses the fact that habits are learned and can also be unlearned. One of my main passions for students is for them to become lifelong learners. However, that can only happen if their habits of the mind are nurtured and students given some responsibility for their learning. If they go to college, that responsibility is definitely placed on them. Will the first student have a teacher that will help them unlearn certain habits? Will the second student continue behaviors that will lead to negative habits that stop them from reaching their highest potential? Were they ever given the opportunity to take responsibility of their own learning? I cannot be sure. What I do know is that we should never be so quick to label a student as lazy. It is not always that simple or black and white.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you are a great writer. I would love to share this with others. You have articulated questions teachers have been talking about for literally years. It is part of our buisness that we never get to quite see what impact we make on these students. We never quite see the final product until years later. What will happen? It's a guessing game. I do think you are correct at looking at future performance in light of past behavior. If that is correct these students will have a difficult time. Sometimes we just can't fill whatever they need at the time. It is a hard pill to swallow. But sometimes, years later, you will find a student that tells you something you did made a difference. That is our teacing "fix". It makes all these days of struggle worth it.
    2pts/2pts
    Iona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments. You may share this if you would like. You are right, it is such a guessing game, hence all the questions that flooded my mind. I can't wait to one day hear a student say that I've made a difference for the first time. So tell me, is it like hearing a heavenly chorus? Ha!

    ReplyDelete